Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wicca, Spells, and Real Magick: Part 1

This post is going to be different from what I usually write about, but I feel it's important. This blog is a journey through my experiences with spirituality so I will from time to time include posts not related to Kemetics or Egypt. 


This entry wasn't planned. I was surfing the web when I came upon a Wiccan e-zine. There was an article I read that, well, kind of annoyed me. I'm not going to go into the article itself because no matter how I put it I'll come out sounding like a horrible person. Basically, there's a lot people studying Wicca and magick that are lacking a firm foundation and understanding of how magick itself works. There's a lot of great information out there, but for every good piece of information there's at least five more that are horribly inaccurate. This is my effort to try and correct the balance. 


I'll be the first to admit that when I got my first book on Wicca I skipped straight to the section on casting spells. I mean, what preteen girl wouldn't be fascinated by the idea that she could in fact have a say in what goes on around her? I was excited by spell casting; to learn that it wasn't something of the fictional world, but that it was very much real. I found it mysterious, enchanting, and of course, magickal. For a few months after I got my first book I experimented with all sorts of spells from getting a crush to like me to stopping gossip. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. I wanted to know why they didn't always work, so I decided to actually read the whole book from beginning to end. Shocking, I know. 


I was particularly excited to read the theory and religion part of Wicca. I mean, wasn't it a religion that I could make my own? Ahhh, religion. Somehow my preteen mind had overlooked the part that Wicca was firstly and most importantly, a religion. I had just begun to move past the idea that Christianity wasn't the only way, so I wasn't really excited to learn another set of rules and doctrines. 


I did it anyways. I studied diligently, set on finding out why my spells didn't work 100% of the time. Boy was I in for a surprise.


I realized that I had mistaken Wicca for a title you earned when you worked your first spell and not the beautiful, complex religion it is. There could be a million reasons why those first spells didn't work: timing, intention, misuse of a supply, my desire being the wrong thing for me at that point in time, etc.. Today, I believe that those first failure were a result of a secure and solid foundation of the theory behind the practice and the religion. I understand that not all witches are Wiccan, but to me the two were very  closely linked. I believed that it was possible to light a candle, say a few words, and through some strange magic my wish would be granted. 


It's been many years since those first lessons. I am now 21 and I can honestly say I almost never use spells. I have nothing against them personally, I just don't have the need for them. Wicca has enabled me to be happy, content, and fulfilled without spell work. I am still learning (you never really stop learning) and every day I gain a new piece of knowledge or understanding that enriches my life further. 


How is this accomplished? 


Unlike what I had experienced as a child, Wicca is not a "use when needed" religion. I often find among other Pagans that their religion is so closely woven into their "regular" lives that they don't even notice anymore. Wicca isn't something you do once a week for an hour and then forget about until next week; it's something you incorporate into your life for the better good. I rarely cast spells, but I practice Wicca every day. 


It varies for each individual, but I think the most important component of my path is having a real and personal relationship with the Divine. I came from a background where God was viewed as distant, impossible, and unreachable. My relationship with the Gods and Goddesses today is the exact opposite. I perform lengthy and detailed rituals to honor Them, but most of the time I just talk with Them. I thank Them for my blessings, speak about my concerns, ask for guidance when I am lost, and meditate on Their names when I need balance. A relationship with your concept of the Divine isn't impossible or difficult, it's as simple as letting Them know you are listening. 


The presence of the Goddess and God are everywhere we look in this world. For a long time I had difficulty with this. Wicca is indeed a nature-based religion. I happen to live in a metropolitan area that is home to more than 5 million people and sometimes nature seems very far away. You have to look closely. Nature is found in "city wildlife" (pigeons, cats, dogs, lizards, raccoons, deer, etc..), it is seen in every tree and plant, in the sky above us, the soil underneath us, the wind that blows against our faces, the rain that nourishes the earth.... I could easily go on all day. What I'm trying to say is that nature is wherever you are, including our own bodies. We are composed of water, bones as strong as earth, a heart that beats passionately like fire, lungs that need precious air to survive, and souls that are the essence of our spirits. It's fascinating to think about. Sometimes I've been in situations where there wasn't a tree or shrub in sight. It took me a long time to see that all I had to do was look into myself to see the work of the God and Goddess. 


As a Wiccan, I find it important to be aware always. Sometimes this isn't possible, of course. We live in a very real world full of chaos and stress and it's not always easy to just stop and look around us. However, when we do it's a great experience. My religion isn't confined to an altar, a Book of Shadows, a ritual tool, or anything else. To truly live Wicca we must remember that the Divine is with us always, in every place and situation. 


What I've written about above forms the foundation of my faith; a relationship with the God and Goddess and the ability to see Nature, the Divine's creation, in any place I look. It seems simple, but it's truly brought a great deal of peace to my life. At first I didn't notice a difference, when I did it was like night and day. My life had improved a great deal simply from including Nature and the Divine in everyday. 


Spells can be a beautiful addition to your religion and faith. Spellwork can be empowering, spiritual, and an amazing experience all in one. I'm not saying you should never cast a spell, but you must decide when they are necessary. I imagine one day I'll find a need to do a spell and I know that it will work. I have faith in my own ability and in the love of the God and Goddess. I know that I have an understanding of how magick works and I know that the Divine will help me provide for myself. 


The next entry will focus on how magick works, how to cast a successful spell, and how to know when a spell is necessary. My favorite holiday of the Wiccan year is coming up; Samhain. I'm planning on doing a couple posts about Samhain, Samhain rituals, and how this holiday related to Kemetics. Also, you can expect another "Getting to Know the Netjer" post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment